ASSIGNMENTS

RE CREATE A PHOTO 

DIGITAL COLLAGE BASED ON A THEME

Photography of Derek Gores

This is a theme collage portrait. The artist recycled magazines, labels, and found materials to create his work. I think he is trying to portray beauty and fashion.

ALBUM COVER

FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY

PICK-A-SOMETHING

Magazine Cover

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE COVER REVIEW

GEORGIA O’KEEFE ILLUSTRATION

Erotic flowers with Georgia O'Keeffe | Article on ArtWizard

Georgia O’Keeffe was an American modernist artist. She was known for her paintings of close up flowers, New York skyscrapers, and New Mexico landscapes. This image was eye catching to me because of the colors, she added different times of orange with a bit of purple. What I like about O’Keeffe’s paintings is that they are very unique, some of her painting are simple but yet hold so much power and creativity. I like the color combinations that she adds to her flower paintings. The image of the flowers are sometimes so close up that most of the time they don’t look like flowers, and that’s what makes her paintings so different.

ARTICLE READ AND WRITE: “CAMERA; DRAMATIC EFFECTS POSSIBLE WITH SILHOUETTES” 

The technique of silhouettes can be used to add glamour and intensity to everyday photographs. For example, still life’s, vacation pictures and family photographs. This technique will add excitement and drama into standard photographs. The silhouette adds to the mood of an already strong image, intensifies the mood with a sense of danger, or loneliness. I learned that if you want the image to lend itself best to the silhouette it is better if the subject has a large and simple shape in the foreground which is strongly lit from behind.  

The photographer must keep the background free of distractions, therefore silhouettes are set against the sky, where there is little to interfere with the total effect. I learned that it is often helpful to alter the perspective of the photograph by shotting up at the subject, the lower angle will keep the horizon at bay, and offer a greater expanse of the background. However, “the low angle works particularly well when shooting smaller, close objects such as flower or children.” 

EMOTION SERIES

CULTURAL IDENTITY PHOTOGRAPHS

CULTURAL PHOTOGRAPHY: READ AND RESPONSE

This article is about the understanding of what a person’s life with a camera looks like. Adam Marelli talks about his journey on how his love for cultural photography grew. It mentions how people spend half of their lives trying to define who they are and the other half trying to figure out who they are when they are not doing the thing that defines them. Adam includes that the question “who do you consider yourself to be?” pointed a gap in his career. When people get asked this question, it is likely to create a range of emotion. Most of the time people don’t even know who they are or what they are interested in. Adam eventually started to understand that his main interest was in culture.

As Adam does his research on ‘cultural photography’ and he came to realize that it does not seem to exist. “Culture was more than a subject matter for me, it represents a full-on approach to understanding parts of the world around me”. This quote represents that Adams focus was culture photography. It made him step into a culture and develop his own point of view.

What I found interesting was that he devoted most of his time to decoding a combination of visible and invisible forces that helped shape two cultures, craftsmen, and meditation. I also liked his cultural photography work. Most of his work is in black and white, his images contain great exposure and lighting. They capture a story and many cultural variations from different pov’s.

MULTIPLE EXPOSURE WITH FLASH AND SLOW SHUTTER SPEED

READ AND WRITE: PHOTOJOURNALISM

Photojournalism is the process of storytelling. Photojournalist Ron Haviv followed rioters through a broken window into the seat of his own nations legislative branch to capture the invasion of the capitol. “His images showed the gagged, chaotic, and raw nature of the attempt to steal America for Donald Trump-the fervent futility of what transpired inside the Capitol”. I believe these images were difficult to capture, but Haviv was able to follow rioters and capture every moment. After every image he wrote a description of what is happening in the picture. He captured the rioters spraying “orange colored liquid” at the police, people climbing the inaugural scaffolding, and pictures of them inside the capitol.

I think that this event will be remembered in history because it was such a chaotic moment. It was also important because the president and legislative branch was involved. Thanks to these images people will be able to look back at what happened and why it happened the way it did.

Body, Shape, Form Triptych

10 words to describe triptych

1.makeup    6.texture

2.pretty        7.black&white

3.highligh    8.long lashes

4.alluring     9.stunning

5.appealing  10.serious

MEXICO

Sandy Skoglund

Sandy Skoglund is an American photographer and installation artist. She is known for creating surrealistic images by building sets and furnishing them with colored furniture and other objects. This process takes her months to complete. In my opinion I believe that Sandy is a unique artist, she doesn’t only photograph amazing images, but she sculptures her pieces by herself, creating a surrealism piece. Her choice of color and imagination is amazingly different from other artists; therefore her art is very eye catching.

CREATE A WORK IN THE STYLE OF WASSILY KANDINSKY 

Wassily Kandinsky was a Russian Painter and art theorist. He is credited as one of the pioneers of abstraction in western art. He is known for painting, specifically abstract art. He pioneered abstract painting in the early 20th century. It is said that he believed that geometric forms, lines, and colors could express the inner life of the artist. In my opinion I think his art is unique, I believe that it’s a great way to express yourself through shapes and color. My favorite thing about his art is that he uses shapes, colors, lines, and forms to create a powerful image.  

MOTION BLUR

5 TIPS:

Cars- Moving cars will capture great motion blur

Bikes- Bikes as well as car will capture good motion blur

Fairgrounds-  fair rides would be a great choice, all the colors will have a wonderful effect

Dance- dance also has a lot of movement, which leads to a great blur to capture

Street- the street is full of moving people, this can help capture the perfect motion blur

PHOTO STORY

https://express.adobe.com/page/hB06DWEOWVbi8/

FILL FLASH OUTSIDE

Fill flash is a technique that photographers use to brighten up dark shadows when shooting outside. Fill flash is mostly used in when the subject is positioned in front of a brighter background or covered by harsh shadows. Fill flash acts as a supporting light, one that pops a bit of brightness back into those too-dark areas.

HDR PHOTOGRAPHY

High Range Photography also known as HDR captures the difference between the lightest light and the darkest light in a photo. Once your subject exceeds the camera’s dynamic range, the highlights tend to wash out to white, or the darks simply become big black blobs. They needed to be taken at different exposure levels and then put them together in order to get the perfect HDR image.

TED TALK: IMPOSSIBLE PHOTOGRAPHY

In this Ted Talk, Erik Johansson speaks about his photography. He mentions that he gets his first camera at the age of 15 and shows some of his work. He also refers to how his photography was mixed with his passion for drawing. He got inspired to create something different, “something where the process starts when you press the trigger” (referring to the camera). His work contains a level of realism, something that captures the idea and not the moment, he says.

He then demonstrates and mentions how to combine two images to make it look real. For example, he took a picture of the road, then combined it with a person dragging some sort of cloth. When both combined, it looked as if he was lifting the road and dragging it. Johansson then mentions that matching the color, contrast and brightness will make it loo like the same image rather than two combined.

After viewing this tedtalk I have come to realize that there are many ways of using photography, which also consists of editing. I really liked the image of the road with the guy. It was very interesting and unique. In my opinion it’s not my favorite type of photography but I like how he combined both photography and his passion for drawing.

INDEED JOB

1. sports photographer: For this job I will need be responsible for ensuring quality individual sport photography, must be available weekends, unloading photo equipment, good communication skills to direct subject in posing, knowledge in camera and lighting, fast pace, salary $20-25 the hour
  2. Restaurant photographer: for this job I will need to be an experienced photographer, at least 2 years, must be able to shoot and edit, familiar with equipment, communication, part time $20-25 the hour
  3. Bridal photographer:  must be able to facilitate continuous exceptional support to clients and interpersonal personnel, The work of an assistant photographer is often referred to simply as “assisting”, Provides continuous assistance in customer care, Provides a professional and exceptional level of service for all clients, while maintaining positive interaction with customer’s Delivers a timely delivery of work assignments as dictated by schedules or requests.

BOOKFACE

LIGHT PAINTING PORTRAITS

MY FAVORITE TEACHER

Ms. Navas is my Avid teacher, she has been an amazing leader to my classmates and I. One thing that I love about Ms. Navas is that even when I’m having a bad day, she knows how to bring a smile or laugh to my face. When I first met her I knew she was full of energy and life. She always tries her best to push us forward and keep us on track. When you ask her a question her answer will never be a  “no” she always find a solution to make sure everything gets done, nice and on time. One of the main reasons why she inspires me is because she is very involved with the school. Although she might be under so much stress she gets it done!

Ms. Navas is not only a great teacher, but also a great person to count on when something is needed. She is a teacher that values her students as if we were one of her own. She is very reliable, loyal, trustworthy, kind and most of all hard-working. You can tell that she is dedicated to her job, she puts in every second she can in order to make a difference on our campus/classroom.

10 tips of flash photography:

1. use TTL technology
  2. diffuse your flash
  3. use colored flash gels
  4. enable high-speed flash sync
  5. use more than one flash
  6. make use of ambient light
  7. bounce the light
  8. don’t point flash directly to subject
  9. sync multiple wireless flashes
  10. While bouncing light, flag your flash with a small piece of black foam or any opaque material to block one side of your perpendicular flash head and keep all direct light from hitting your subject.

$10,000 Photography Shopping Spree

1. Canon EOS R5 mirrorless Digital Camera with 24-105mm f/4L Lens ($4,999). I need this camera because research shows that it is one of the best cameras for Landscape photography. I will use it to capture the presence of nature and the features of landscapes.
  2. Canon EF 24mm-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens ($379). This lens would be very helpful since it is a wide-angle lens. It will also help capture clear and sharp images.
  3. Magnus VT-4000 Tripod system with Fluid Head ($169.95). Having a tripod can be very useful to keep the camera steady, great way to capture the perfect image.
  4. Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip ($349). This will be beneficial for a photographer. It will allow the camera to hold multiple batteries to extend the battery life of the camera.
  5. Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM contemporary Lens (telephoto zoom) for canon EF ($899). It’s a full frame format which will be helpful to capture the perfect photograph.
  6. Celestron 10X25 Nature Monocular ($44). I heard it is helpful because is has a “true field of view”.
  7. Camera backpack ($216), this will be helpful for travel, it holds lenses, pro DSLR , and laptop

Social and Political Issue in Art

Deforestation is the removal of a forest or stand of trees from land that is then converted to farms, ranches, or urban use. This has been a issue for many years, and it must be stopped. It has been negatively affecting natural ecosystems, biodiversity, and the climate. Fires have also played a major role in deforestation, it has caused species to lose their natural habitat, and pollution has increased. The reason why I am against the cutting down of tress is because I believe it is unfair to take animals homes, just so we, humans are able to have a farm or new factories/warehouses built. Many people believe that building these new factories or farms will be beneficial but in reality it is causing harm to the environment. The loss of tress can cause climate change, Soil erosion fewer crops, flooding, and increase greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Others may say that cutting down these trees will be a benefit for them because they’ll make money, or grow crops from their new farms, but what about the homes that were taken just because they wanted to build new building on a rainforest. Birds, mammals, and reptiles all lose homes or end up dying from loss of habitat. My artwork is not intended to offend, I just want to point out the obvious and persuade others to take a stand. Our environment should be taken care of and so should the people/species living in it!

screen print on any article of clothing

CANON LENS EXPERIENCE REVIEW

Jeremy Cowart is a famous portrait photographer who began his career as a graphic designer, worked on developing a smartphone application, and founded non-profit organizations with thriving communities. He claims to have fallen in love with the shooting process. He didn’t have any photographic training or expertise, so he used a Canon G1 to shoot. He chose the Canon 1 because he didn’t have many other options. “I had no idea what I was doing, and someone recommended these [to me].” When I got all of my equipment, I had no idea what I was doing. “There’s nothing.” Cowart remarked. After that, he became enamored with a professional camera. His first piece of equipment was a professional DSLR camera, which was the first of its kind. Canon’s UPS lens is his favorite. “You should be able to generate stunning photographs with any lens,” Cowart believed.

Underwater photography is a one-of-a-kind experience. Swimming with dolphins, a massive whale, and even a shark. Underwater photography is fascinating and interesting, but it is also one of the most difficult genres of photography. It requires additional equipment and skills to be learnt and practiced, but it can also be physically taxing. Stephen Frink is a sperm whale photographer with over thirty years of expertise who has photographed everything from Olympic swimmers to sperm whales. He also leads dive travel adventures all over the world and teaches master-level underwater photography courses. Frink frequently employs the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM for photographing dolphins. He also employs the Canon 8-15mm lens, which is utilized behind a big dome for applications such as over-undershoots, especially where size and water resistance are considerations, such as chasing a whale shark or photographing sperm whales, as Frink did. The article states that it’s important to know that photographing animals in the wild can be exceedingly difficult but Frink says “projecting a benign presence” always gives you the best chance at getting the shot. Stephen Frink says that the improvement in low-light, high ISO expands the range of apertures you can use and that it can have a profound effect on the performance you get out of your lenses underwater.

STUDIO PORTRAITS WITH STROBES AND GELS

writing critique: 

1. eye catching
  2. colorful
  3. highlight
  4. beautiful
  5. pink
  6. bright
  7. stands out with dark background
  8. shadow
  9. unique color
  10. professional

Photomontage

In my photomontage I decided to have the background as the places i would like to visit. These places include Cancun, Paris, Berlin, and Greece. I have always wanted to travel, to seek new experiences and view how different they are form where i currently live. On the top left hand corner there’s a Camry, the reason being is because ever since the beginning of this year i have wanted to get myself a white Camry. Hopefully, i get to accomplish this goal, however, my interest in the car can change but for now, i see myself owning my dream car. The money around the car is a representation of wealth. In ten years, i hope to see myself financially stable, which contributes to my dream career. On the bottom right hand corner i added the symbol of psychology. In ten years i hope to be graduated with my masters, which contributed to the Washington state logo (the university i want to attend to) working as a therapist. Next to the logo there is a golden retriever, the dog that i wanted since forever. I have always wanted this specific breed because i find them so playful and beautiful, but my parents didn’t want it since we already had three other dogs. However, i do see myself having one of my own. I also added the word family next to wedding rings. This represents my goal of having my own family, hopefully married, living a healthy life.

Block printing 

25 Photos edited Lightroom

Low key lighting portrait or still life 

5 ways to have stronger composition

One way to have stronger compositions is to include a focal point. This will give your photo meaning and offers the viewer a place for their age to rest. Another way to have strong composition is to balance the image diagonally. This will create a more interesting composition.  Shooting from a lower angle will also help simplify the composition and will give a unique viewpoint. Including lines in your composition is a great way of leading the eye into the image. Furthermore, framing your subject will help you around the edge of your composition.

Mirror Imagery 

Cut & paste collage

Raw vs. Jpeg capture

When capturing an image in a digital camera, it is recorded as raw data. When the camera is set to Jpeg, the raw data is processed and compressed before it is saved in jpeg format. A raw image contains wider dynamic range and color compared to jpeg. It also provides far better recovery potential. On the other hand, when you shoot in jpeg mode. Your camera applies sharpening, contrast, color saturation to create a full processed, good looking image. When shooting in jpeg, information in the brightest and darkest areas of the image will be lost. In raw files the issues can easily be correct.

Image Projection 

Man & Nature

Shallow Depth of Field

Camera experiences

ISO:2000
A:5652
SS:5488

ISO:6400
SS:4833..
A:3932

ISO:400
A:548864/65536
SS:548864/65536

What I have learned about exposure and camera modes?

After going over the different camera modes, I grew a greater understanding on aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. I have learned that the camera exposure determines how bright or dark a picture will be, it is controlled by the aperture, ISO and shutter speed. The aperture refers to the opening of a lens’s diaphragm through which the light passes. Lower f/stop gives more exposure, higher f/stops give less exposure. The shutter speed is a measurement of the time shutter is open. Furthermore, the ISO is the sensitivity, the signal gain, of the cameras sensor (lights).